When you’re hosting a party or a picnic this summer, it can be tempting to just order a tray of sandwiches for your guests and be done with it (well, that part of it). That’s what I always did, until I came across this recipe, that is. I always feel like Joey from Friends when I think about my love of sandwiches. They just may be one of my favorite foods! I was intrigued when I saw these on Pinterest and gave them a shot for my children’s birthday party that we hosted. I was so impressed with how they turned out and had a hard time putting them down! There’s no magic to the recipe other than giving them the time to set and letting the flavor to sink in. I highly recommend!
There are a ton of ways you could vary this sandwich. I chose to use salami, prosciutto and pepperoni, but the possibilities are endless. I only wish I had a constant supply of these in my fridge!
Here’s the recipe which I found on Let’s Dish:
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1/2 pound sliced Italian cold cuts (salami, pepperoni, sopressata, mortadella, capocolla, prosciutto, etc.)
- 1/2 pound sliced Provolone cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach, arugula or basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped olives (black or green)
- Roasted red peppers
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Roasted garlic
- Slice ciabatta loaf in half horizontally.
- Spread desired amount of pesto over the bottom half of the bread. Don’t over-saturate the bread.
- Layer the Italian meats over the pesto. Top with the sliced cheese.
- Layer the spinach or other greens over the cheese.
- Optional toppings can be added to either the top or the bottom of the sandwich.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the top half of the loaf over the sandwich fillings.
- Wrap the sandwich thoroughly with plastic wrap. Place a heavy cutting board or other flat object on top of sandwich and weight it down with a 2- to 4-lb. weight (such as a cast iron skillet or six-pack of soda).
- Let the sandwich sit for at least 6 hours, but preferably over night.
- Unwrap, cut into 8 pieces and serve.
I love Italian sandwiches!! This looks delicious.
You should give these a shot! I’m still craving them :)