By now you probably know that I love trying out new recipes. I have found some great recipes from Real Simple over the past few years and with fall upon us, I decided to try their apple snack cake. I’m having a get together this evening and thought it would be a great addition to the gathering. This is extremely easy to make (it calls for applesauce so you don’t even need to peel an apple!) and extremely delicious.
Here’s the recipe which I found here. Mine ended up needing to stay in the oven for 35 minutes, but every oven tends to be a bit different.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large large egg
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter an 8-inch baking dish. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl mix the applesauce, buttermilk, butter, and egg. Add the dry mixture and mix to combine. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out to cool completely. Dust with the confectioners’ sugar.
Leave a Reply