I recently had a college friend reach out asking what key pieces I would add to a closet for the fall/winter seasons. Last year she was wearing maternity clothes before she gave birth to a beautiful son, and this year she feels like her closet needs some refreshing. Whether you’re working your way out of maternity clothes or find yourself looking into your closet wishing you had a few key pieces, I have a list of items I feel would give any closet a good revamp. I based these selections on a business casual work week as well as weekend casual.
1. Classic Wool Coat: It’s great if you’re able to have a variety of styles on hand, but if I were to chose one essential coat for the season it would be a classic wool coat. They can be worn over casual to semi-dressy outfits and the tailored look really pulls an outfit together.
2. Chambray Shirt: This has been a closet staple for a while now and I find myself turning to mine multiple times per week.
3. Shift Dress/Sweater Dress: The versatility is endless. You can wear them with flats, heels, boots, leggings, tights, layered up with a vest, scarf and/or some necklaces.
4. Shoes/Boots: I threw in booties, a high shaft boot and a pair of flats which should get you through the season. If you have yet to try leopard, do it. It’s much more versatile than you’d think!
5. Pants: A great fitting pair of skinnies are key to have on hand. They can easily be dressed up for a business casual look, and you could also have a distressed pair tucked away for the weekends. I also threw in my polka dot knit pants below which I have been wearing over the past few months dressed up, down and in between. It’s fun to keep your outfits interesting by using prints/patterns.
6. Sweater: It’s good to have at least one or two sweaters that you can turn to on those blustery winter days.
7. Accessories: Necklaces are often the finishing touch to an outfit for me. And when the wind is blowing I reach for my bin of scarves which not only complete my look but do a great job keeping out the cold.
8. Bag: I’m not sure this list would be as authentic if I didn’t include the classic tote that is typically by my side.
Hopefully some of these items resonate with you you. What else would you add for your closet revamp?