Tacos are a huge hit in our house and I’m guessing the same may be true for yours. For a time, I gave up on the meal because I was so bored with the thought of eating our same old tacos time and again. Yet, my kids continued to beg for them. It was then that I searched and found this recipe on Pinterest that led us back to our regularly scheduled taco dinners! There are a few simple additions to this recipe that make this staple meal 10x’s more exciting and delicious. Simmering the ground turkey in beef broth combined with tomato sauce and then mixing in corn and black beans was all it took.
It takes a bit to simmer down, but I find that by letting it slow simmer for 15-20 minutes, I don’t even need to add the flour that can be used to thicken it up. With all of the typical seasonings added, the flavor goes to a whole new level. I’m not sure I care to eat plain old tacos again!
With that base, we then customize our plates (or bowls) as we all please. I typically serve mine over lettuce, topped with shredded cheese, salsa, avocado and a bit of sour cream. My kids will either eat theirs in a taco or in a bowl served over rice with a topping or two.
What was once boring is now fun and more flavorful than ever making our Taco Tuesday’s a night everyone looks forward to!
Turkey Taco Burrito Bowl via Together as Family:
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I don’t typically add flour)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, cook the ground turkey with the salt & pepper until cooked through and no longer pink, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, and flour. Stir the mixture constantly for 1 minute while it cooks. It will be crumbly (that’s ok).
- Slowly add the beef broth, a little bit at a time, while whisking to let it thicken up. Add in tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling add the black beans and corn.
- Turn heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with rice and taco toppings for delicious burrito bowls.