Oh the holidays. Christmas celebrations, family, food, presents, and cookies. Lots of cookies! I always have my favorite chocolate chip cookies on hand, but I like to play with new recipes as well. This year I decided to go with Mint Chocolate Macaroons. Chocolate Covered Macaroon’s are a favorite of mine and these were a delicious alternative. They are gluten free and paleo in case you are looking for those options. There’s a good chance you have all of the ingredients on hand, so if you need a last minute recipe, this might be it!
I served these at my cookie exchange this year amidst a sea of delicious-ness. I don’t think there’s anything much more beautiful than a table full of cookies, do you?!
Mint Chocolate Macaroons via Danielle Walker’s e-cookbook Joyful:
Serves 2 dozen
▪ 3 cups shredded coconut
▪ ½ cup cacao powder
▪ ½ cup honey
▪ ½ cup coconut milk
▪ ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
▪ ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
▪ 1 egg white
▪ dash of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric mixer, beat the egg white with a small pinch of salt. Beat for 1-2 minutes until soft peaks form when you lift the mixer out.
4. Fold the egg white into the coconut mixture and mix gently until fully combined.
5. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop out balls of dough and pack them together tightly either by lightly knocking the scoop onto the side of the bowl or pushing it down with your fingers.
6. Place the dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes, rotating the tray half way through.
7. Cool on a wire cooling rack for 1 hour. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
8. Optional – dip the bottoms of the macaroons in melted dark chocolate mixed with ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract for an even more decadent treat! (I did not use peppermint in the chocolate since my husband thought the cookie had enough peppermint flavor without it.)